Simple Myst-Like Application

Gordon Tillman got at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 23 23:06:28 EDT 2006

Howdy Graeme,

On Aug 23, 2006, at 21:34, Graeme Harlick wrote:

> How and where would I put the code so that the points don't get
> lost going from screen to screen, and also what code would I use to
> set variables so that users can explore freely and find hidden
> areas non-sequentially?

No worries!  One way would be to declare a global variable at the top
of each card's script that needs to access your points.   By
convention, you would name the variable starting with a letter
"g" (for global).  For example:

At the top of  your stack script:

global gUserPoints

Then in your on preOpenStack handler or on openStack handler:

put 0 into gUserPoints

If you store the values away somewhere when they exit and come back
into the game, you can set a different value into your variable:

put pointsSoFar into gUserPoints

Then, at the top of each of your card scripts that need to access
this variable again use:

global gUserPoints

So the user now does something on this card to earn 10 additional
points:

add 10 to gUserPoints

You get the point....

--gordy