Displaying Windows-1252 encoded URL in field

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Aug 23 12:36:03 EDT 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 9:46 AM, Martin Baxter wrote:

> Despite this function's name (and despite what it says in the
> dictionary), this built-in function converts from ansi (a.k.a.
> Windows-1252) to Mac roman.

Microsoft uses so-called ANSI to refer to any of many code pages, not
just Windows-1252.  (Microsoft's use of ANSI is fraudulent and should
be avoided, thus the use of Windows-1252 is appropriate here.)

Codes 80-9F are not used in ISO-8859-1, but most are used in
Windows-1252.  The isoToMac() function does indeed translate most of
these suitably for Windows-1252, but notably does not translate the
Euro (80), mentioned in BZ 3681.

Thanks for mentioning that the function works on Windows-1252,
Martin.  I had done a quick check at one time and must have goofed,
because I came away thinking otherwise.

Dar Scott