RunRev logos

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 22 16:26:06 EDT 2006

Garrett wrote:

>> In the license agreement, there is a Revolution copyright statement
>> that you must include along with your own copyright statements.
>> Including the rev logo is optional, but encouraged.
>
> Ok.......  Well that just put the nail in the coffin for me and Rev.
> I didn't pay all this damn money so I could put their copyright
> statement along with mine on anything I do.  If this was a free
> version I was using then I could see doing something like that, even
> putting their logo all over it, but not after having to pay so much
> money, and continue to pay so much money if I want updates or upgrade/
> updates, or whatever they want to call them.

Most companies charge for upgrades, and I haven't seen a software
package yet that doesn't have bugs.  The trick of course is to find the
right balance between bugs and marketability.  I don't have the stats on
how Rev measures up against other apps for bugs/KLOC, but for myself and
most of the folks here the balance is in their favor relative to the
productivity it allows me to deliver to my clients.

Search for "good enough software" for some good reading on the topic;
there are some who argue against shipping with any known bugs, and
indeed I try to get my own stuff as close to that as practical, but in
general the "Good Enough" philosophy helps apps ship and delivers more
value to customers more quickly than attempting perfection.

As for the copyright notice, I think you'll find that with just about
any libraries, components, frameworks, or anything else.  Modern
software is just too complex to write without using at least a framework
written by someone else, and that someone usually wants appropriate
copyright protection for their contribution.

Going back as far as MacApp Apple required a notice, THINK C required
one, Code Warrior required one, and Rev requires one.  It's pretty
customary, unless you're writing everything 100% from scratch.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation