FTP with SSL/TLS

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 16:24:05 EDT 2006

--- William de Smet <wdesmet at wanadoo.nl> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just thought to make a small easy FTP app so the
> teachers on the
> school I work (two locations in two different
> cities) could FTP
> documents to the other location.
> The FTP however needs SSL/TLS and I don't know how
> to do that!
>
> I know there are some free FTP apps out there which
> do SSL/TLS but I
> want simple drag and drop and nothing more.
>
> The documentation says:
> open socket command open [datagram] socket [to]
> host[:port[|ID]] [with
> message callbackMessage] open secure socket [to]
> host[:port[|ID]]
> [with message callbackMessage] [with|without
> verification] [using
> certificate certificate and key key]
>
> I don't know how to use it an d where to put it!
> Is this easy to do with RunRev? Are there any
> examples?
>
> I need to use this:
> IP 80.127.43.153
> Socket 21|6932
>
> Thanks,
>
> William de Smet

Hi William,

The SFTP protocol is a different protocol from FTP -
it's not just a matter of opening a secure socket
connection.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_file_transfer_protocol>

While this might be an interesting project if you want
to learn more about socket communication, it might be
better to file a feature request in Bugzilla, so
LibURL guru Dave Cragg can build it for you ;-)

Jan Schenkel.