Printing in Windows

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 14:30:13 EDT 2006

--- Sarah Reichelt <sarah.reichelt at gmail.com> wrote:
> How is printing in Windows supposed to work? In Mac,
> I go to "Page
> setup" and choose the paper layout I want. Then when
> I print, I get
> another dialog allowing me to choose copies, page
> ranges, quality etc.
> Rev ignores the page ranges :-( but apart from that,
> printing works as
> I would expect.
>
> With Windows, when I use "answer printer" which I do
> when "Page setup"
> is chosen from the menu, I get a dialog allowing me
> to choose the
> printer and it's settings, but it also has a Print
> button. rather to
> my surprise, this seems to work, even though I
> haven't scripted for it
> at all. However choosing "Print" from the menu gives
> me no dialog at
> all, it just prints to the default printer, no
> matter what I chose in
> "Page setup".
>
> So what do Windows users expect? Is this correct
> behaviour? Or should
> I forget "Page setup" for Windows and just use the
> "answer printer"
> dialog for printing in a single step?
>
> Please help a confused Mac person...
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Printing on Windows is a tad confusing in Revolution.
The 'answer printer' command displays the Page Setup
dialog box on MacOS, but on Windows it looks like the
place to print from.
And the other fun thing is that you can't actually
read and store the page setup data, so you have to ask
the user every time.
On Windows, users either never get the printer
selection screen, or they get it every time.

Usually, my printing code looks something like this:
##
on mouseUp
  answer printer
  if the result is "Cancel" then exit mouseUp
  -- some preparation code
  -- ...
  -- about to start printing
  -- Note: won't display a dialog box on Win or Unix
  open printing with dialog as sheet
  if the result is not "Cancel" then
    print this card
    close printing
  end if
  -- some cleanup code
  -- ...
end mouseUp
##

And then the fun starts when 'formatForPrinting' gets
added to the mix...

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution