Problems with long text fld on Windows

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Aug 19 20:39:46 EDT 2006

I have deployed an application which runs on top of a standalone engine
build with 2.6

The "player" stack is called "Himalayan Academy Stack Player" code name HARP

the separate stack file where all the actual work is done

is called "Audio Transcriber 2.rev"  code name "ATRA" among the team
that uses it.

I have no problems with most users, virtually zero for mac users, but
Windows
users experience a variety of issues.

It's simple app that load a file name to a QT player, supplies some neat
controls
for going forward, backward etc.

underneath there is one big field where the user transcribes what he or
she hears.

they can stop periodically and save and come back and start up at the
same point
in the audio file and continue.

"bad stuff" starts to happen after the user has been working for a while
on Windows. I'm coping a report below to see if anyone might have clues

I suppose I should post my stack but if  you have any immediate insights
I would appreciate it.

I really need to see if I have built up a long queue of pending msgs
that might
be causing troubles....I thought i fixed that one though...

Sivakatirswami

My user from Australia writes:

======
Here is some feedback on ATRA for you:

* selecting the text of the transcription field and "Copy" only works if
it is a freshly opened ATRA. If i have been working for a while, and
want to copy, i have to close the whole application (HARP too [[the
standalone]]) and reopen.

* Ditto for loading a fresh file. The window asking to clear the headers
comes up, but the window allowing selection of the new file does not. I
have to close the application down and start again.

* When I copy from Word back into ATRA after spell checking, some
capitalised words lose the spaces between them. Eg. "Saiva Siddhanta
Church is" becomes "SaivaSiddhantaChurchis". So to spell check i have to:
- close down, restart, and copy text to Word. Spell check.
- copy back to ATRA.
- copy next text from ATRA back to word.
- search for the compressed words using the spell checker
- manually fix those occurrences in ATRA - there might be 3 - 6 of them.

* Sometimes, if I have been using ATRA for a while, the cursor goes
"haywire" turning into a "|", moving the window up and down, and not
selecting words very well. I have to close down again and restart.