Constraining the pointer within a rect

Jan Sælid janselid at broadpark.no
Fri Aug 18 05:06:10 EDT 2006

Hi David, I sent you another suggestion. Maybe it slipped through. Try it.
It's stable. Just put this into the script of a button or rectangle.  Try it

---
local constrain,boxL,boxR,boxT,boxB

ON mouseDown
    put item 1 of rect of me+4 into boxL -- change 4 to your own needs
    put item 3 of rect of me-4 into boxR -- change 4
    put item 2 of rect of me+4 into boxT -- change 4
    put item 4 of rect of me-4 into boxB -- change 4
    put true into constrain
END mouseDown

ON mouseMove x,y
    IF not constrain THEN exit mouseMove
    set the screenmouseloc to \
    globalloc(min(boxR,max(boxL,(x))) & "," &min(boxB,max(boxT,(y))))
END mouseMove

ON mouseUp
    put false into constrain
END mouseUp