OT: The passing of Transcript (was Is there a more English-like Programming language than Transcript?)

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 05:20:11 EDT 2006

On 16 Aug 2006, at 3:15 am, Bridger Maxwell" <bridgeyman at gmail.com
wrote:

>  "You don't have to have a degree in programming to develop in
> Revolution.
> Revolution uses an easy to understand English-based language also
> called
> Revolution."  That sounds pretty official that the language is no
> longer
> called "Transcipt" anymore by the people at Runrev.

if 'Transcript' is now dead, (long live the Revolution), I am going to
break cover and record my own footnote in Rev history.

Back in the early days, users were invited to suggest names for the
language.  I was working on a discourse analysis stack at the time -
using transcripts, geddit?  As I drove up the M6 past Wigan, scripting
away in my head, 'Transcript' popped into my head as a possible name.
I liked it because it implied the spanning of the platforms unique to
the language.

Objections to 'Transcript' included that it was an ordinary English
word with its own meaning.  Perfectly reasonable point, but I was
indeed chuffed when the Rev folks went for 'Transcript'.  I don't have
the skills to contribute to the development of Rev, or indeed much to
this list, so this was one thing that made me feel I was supporting the
whole Revolution thing.

Sadly, it was at a time when prizes weren't awarded for winning
suggestions, so I will have to toast the passing of the name with my
own single malt.

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow
Carlton Glasgow Partnership