Getting version string for standalone app

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Aug 16 00:02:26 EDT 2006

Thanks, Jacque. I was hoping you were listening out there. :-)

On Aug 15, 2006, at 9:52 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Devin Asay wrote:
>> I want to be able to dynamically update the version number of my
>> application--the number I assign in the Standalone Application
>> Settings--to display in my app's "About" substack. My idea is to
>> read it from wherever the Standalone Application Settings stack
>> stores it.
>
> What a good idea. I'm going to steal it. :)

Steal away! We're no where near even.

>> Except after some poking around I wasn't able to find it.
>> So how do I read the version string that I assign in the S.A.S.
>> stack? Or is there some easy, obvious way to read that short
>> version string?
>
> It's in the stacks custom property set "cRevStandaloneSettings".
> You can only see these if "Show UI elements in lists" is turned on
> in prefs. All the versions are in there; OS X, Windows, etc. along
> with everything else. Pick the one you need.

I assume these custom prop sets survive to the standalone state--
can't imagine why they wouldn't. So I can just read them at runtime
rather than having to dynamically update the About stack before I
save as standalone?

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University