Subversion and online code libraries!

chris bohnert chris at altuit.com
Tue Aug 15 19:34:37 EDT 2006

I've used subversion for awhile now.  From a development tool standpoint,
besides a marginal savings in disk space, the best advantage of it is to be
able to pull any branch and any build by looking through the log file.

Where it really shines though is when used as part of a product architecture
that needs to capture or retrieve a very large number of files.  We
integrated it into a project that builds custom linux distros.

By calling the checkout procedure we were able to download an entire linux
distro worth of files onto the users thumbdrive...we keep the distro up to
date by calling the update procedure.

Rev stack version control may not prove extremely useful, but any time you
need a very large amount of file transfers, especially to sync a client to
the server, it may prove particularly handy.

--
cb