Revolution 2.7.3 released, support for U3

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 13 12:03:35 EDT 2006

Dar Scott wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2006, at 9:45 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> At its core, U3 is just a novel interface to a feature built into
>> the Windows OS:
>> And as Rev developers, it's always been a trivial matter for us to
>> deliver fully self-contained apps which run from removable media
>> without needing to modify the host computer.
>
> I appreciate the summary.  Looking at U3 hadn't moved to the top of
> my pile.
>
> Any technical problems with having a set of IDEs installed on a flash
> drive?

It depends on the IDE.

One of the great things about the Rev engine (in contrast to VB,
ToolBook, and other tools that rely on a bunch of DLLs strewn all over
the hard drive) as that it's inherently self-contained.  Even externals
and libraries are easy to use in that they can be put in the same folder
as the app without needing to modify the host system.

So any IDE that doesn't go out of its way not to be self-contained
should run just fine from any removable storage device.  The MC IDE, and
my own fork of that project which I hope to release later this year,
will run from anywhere.

Not sure about Rev, though.  Anyone try it?  I vaguely recall some
mention of the licensing scheme being dependent on a specific path.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal