OT: Is there a more English-like Programming language than Transcript?

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Thu Aug 10 19:42:23 EDT 2006

Hi David,

Yes, I think that the xTalk-family provides us with the most English-
like programming languages. Anything more sophisticated is doable,
but also a lot of work. As an example, here is a script which
responds to polite requests to create an object. Don't take this
example too seriously, please.

on mouseUp
   doPhrase "Would you be so kind to create a field?"
   put the result into rslt
   if rslt is not empty then
     beep
     answer rslt
   end if
end mouseUp

on doPhrase theRequest
   put "(^[Pp]lease*|^[Cc]ould you please*|^[Ww]ould you" && ¬
   "be so kind to*)" into myPattern
   if matchText(theRequest,myPattern,myFormality) is false then
     return "Sorry, didn't hear ya!"
   else
     if last char of theRequest is among the chars of "?!"
     then delete last char of theRequest
     put word (number of words of myFormality + 1) to -1 of ¬
     theRequest into theRequest
     switch (word 1 of theRequest)
     case "create"
       repeat for each word myWord in theRequest)
         if myWord is not "a" then put myWord & space after ¬
         myNewRequest
       end repeat
       put myNewRequest
       try
         do myNewRequest
       catch myError
         return "Sorry, I could not" && theRequest
       end try
       break
       -- more "cases"
     default
       return "Sorry, I could not" && theRequest
     end switch
   end if
end doPhrase

Best regards,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

Download ErrorLib at http://economy-x-talk.com/developers.html and
get full control of error handling in Revolution.

Op 11-aug-2006, om 0:13 heeft David Bovill het volgende geschreven: