HTML Tag Cleaner Fails

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Aug 9 13:47:31 EDT 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 5:01 AM, Dave Cragg wrote:

>> I give up.  You guys are right.  The htmlText renders HTML.
>
> I think you might be accused of twisting people's words again. :-)

Guilty.

> The above description suggests that it renders html well. I didn't
> see anybody making that claim.
>
> Better perhaps...
>
>   The htmlText renders html kinda.

Perhaps a question to consider is whether we want it to be "mo kinda".

Some folks use the htmlText as a way to handle and process the text
as a single entity.  Enhancing or fixing the HTML nature of this
might break such scripts and make new scripts harder to write.
Improving representation of the field text, might make htmlText less
like HTML.

So there is a bit of a stress between these goals, which might be
labeled 'html' and 'format'.

For example, if htmlText is enhanced or fixed to represent a sequence
of spaces correctly, supporting the 'html' use, what impact has that
on the 'format' use.

Dar Scott