HTML Tag Cleaner Fails

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Aug 8 06:56:52 EDT 2006

Except that <title> has a defined, special meaning that Rev knows about --
which is to specify the title of a document -- and that is by definition
distinct from the content. The <foo> tag however, is undefined.

I believe that it's appropriate to "strip" out the information between title
tags and to preserve the information between "foo" tags.

By reference, see:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html3/HTMLandSGML.html

"The behavior of WWW applications reading HTML documents and discovering tag
or attribute names which they do not understand should be to behave as
though, in the case of a tag, the whole tag had not been there but its
content had, or in the case of an attribute, that the attribute had not been
present."

In this case, Rev "understands" the title tag, and correctly does not
include it in the content. It does not understand the "foo" tag and
therefore renders it as if the tag were not there.