Studio License Renewal Cost

Stephen King st.king42 at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 6 06:24:49 EDT 2006

Hi,

Have been off the list for a while as I am still using 2.5.x. I am a
hobbyist only and feel that Rev pricing is pretty competitive. To the
question is $200 a lot - interesting question, I work in a very different
field of engineering and not software, for a very large company and know
that even $200 is extremely difficult to justify with many hoops to jump
through if it's not 'office' - I suspect it's actually easier in a very
small company where the justification can be more easily seen.

Anyway - my one gripe about Rev pricing (if the Rev guys are listening) is
the way bugs are dealt with. I stopped upgrading after a few years as I
continually found the Rev Bugs I needed fixing (unfortunately I have found
it a bit buggy) were not fixed within the 1 year period and so I had buy the
next license to get it fixed. Key ones for me were Speech on Windows and
flashing quick time players. In the case of Speech, actually the Rev guys
were very good and after some considerable dialogue let me have the fix even
outside the 1 year period - but I still can't get two movie windows working
even now.

So I would be much happier if all 'major' bugs in a release were fixed free
(even if outside the year) by maintenance .x releases, otherwise pricing
seems reasonable. Beware though - it is getting more competitive for the
hobbyist with the free .NET studio availability - do many hobbyists really
need cross platform?

Cheers
Steve