revCopyFile chokes on 1,500 file loop

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Aug 4 23:44:09 EDT 2006

(foot in mouth)

As it turns out we found we were programmatically generating a few new
filenames with colons in them! Ouch.

After adding a function to strip out all but 0-9 a-z A-Z and only two
forms of punctuation dash "-" and "_" underscore
it worked fine.

need to etch this policy in stone and stamp on the back of my head.

Rev is not the only program whose processes were failing recently
because of file names.
Our team has been notorious for adding "any old punctuation" and high
ANSI chars (option-whatever on the Mac) to file names.

Anyway, with clean file names to write to RevCopyFile ran thru a copy of
1,758 files in no time at all.

Solved. Another example of "It's Not a Rev Problem at all...it's your
own dumb script!"

Sivakatirswami