qwe - better than undesignated puts?

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Fri Aug 4 15:23:06 EDT 2006

I never liked using the Message box to show values ("put "here’s
MyVar now: " & MyVar"), for a few reasons, because it was a palette
and covered important stuff up if I made it bigger, because I like to
look at a lot of history sometimes, because it was problematic to
find puts in my code sometimes, etc…

So, I use my "qwe" handler:

qwe "here’s MyVar now: " & MyVar

This handler puts the date, log info & cr into a text file which I
keep open in TextWrangler (TextWrangler auto-updates and shows the
latest entries)

qwe advantages over undesignated "puts":

     *  app switch over and see a full page of history
     *  scroll back and see history from previous days if useful
     *  search for "qwe" to find all logmaking entries in your
scripts, (whereas searching for "put" is not helpful!)
     *  if you want to stop all logging, just comment out three lines
in the handler and all "qwe"s stop - can’t do that with "puts", each
one must be deleted or commented out
     *  easy to type!

Eventually, qwe evolves from a development debugger aid to a logging
facility in the app (if desired).

Here is the handler:

ON qwe tNote
   put "file:" & $HOME & "/Library/Application Support/MyFolder/
mlog.txt"into tFile
   put the english date && the long english time & " - " before tNote
   put tNote & cr after URL tFile
END qwe

(permanent link to this info here: http://revcoders.org/qwe/)