Saving externals in a standalone on OSX?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Aug 4 14:34:16 EDT 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 11:47 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> I have an app that downloads stack content. It stores those in the
> Application Support/<appname> folder in OS X, which is where this
> stuff is technically supposed to go.

I think command-line tools can go right next to the executable, but
if they have an revision life of their own and might survive the app,
they should go into Application Support.  Well, that is what I did a
year or two ago.  If they need special permissions, then I put them
into Application Support.  That seemed appropriate at the time.

I put ephemeral things into temp, even code, but I'm not sure if that
is the right place.

I have a vague memory of what I read where things to go and where the
new (then) app builder wanted to put them were not the same.

I don't know if any of that mumbling is any help.

Dar Scott