ulTickleMe

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 01:40:49 EDT 2006

On 3 Aug 2006, at 18:22, Mark Smith wrote:

> Dave, (or anyone else who knows),
>
> what is the ulTickleMe message that I see in the pending messages?
> I'm assuming that the 'ul' connects it with libURL.

This was added to libUrl at some point to overcome an occasional
problem with the "wait for messages" command which is used heavily in
libUrl. The ulTickleMe message is sent every second while a socket is
open and forces the "wait for messages" lines to stop waiting. If I
recall correctly, the problem was specific to a particular engine
version, so I should probably re-examine whether it is needed anymore.

With an ftp upload, it will continue to fire for a short time after
the upload has completed, as the ftp session is kept open for
possible re-use. (The default time is 15 seconds.) With http
downloads, it will continue until the server closes the connection
which varies from "immediately" to a number of minutes. (But a few
seconds is typical.)

If you're running a routine that deletes all the pending messages, I
doubt it will do any harm.

Cheers
Dave