LibURL Error Previous request not completed

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Aug 3 06:08:25 EDT 2006

On 2 Aug 2006, at 16:50, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> FTP servers don't care much about the number of connections. Good
> FTP clients upload and download files at the same time, using
> different connections.

I have to question whether there are any benefits in doing that.
Whether you download files sequentially or out of sync, the server is
trying to do essentially the same thing -- push the same data down
the same physical pipe. Does it matter the order in which it does it?

But when establishing new ftp connections, there is an overhead for
making the socket connection and negotiating the login. If you are
uploading/downloading a lot of small files, that overhead may become
proportionally high and actually slow things down.

I don't have any data to show which approach might be faster. Do you
have any pointers?

For what it's worth, the client I usually use (Fetch) uploads/
downloads multiple files sequentially over a single connection.

As for libUrl, when using non-blocking handlers (load,
libUrlFtpUploadFile, etc.). it queues uploads/downloads to the same
ftp user account, and handles them sequentially over the same
connection. But it handles simultaneous requests to different servers
(and different user accounts on the same server) asynchronously.

Cheers
Dave