Rev's Icon & Similarities to the "R" language???

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 04:25:51 EDT 2006

Just had a look at the "R" language manual - and it looks quite
different from xTalk: all one has to do is look at the class of
objects:
I quote:

NULL Null
symbol a variable name
pairlist a pairlist object
closure a function
environment an environment
promise  an object used to implement lazy evaluation
language an R language construct
special  a built-in function that does not evaluate its arguments
builtin a built-in function that evaluates its arguments
logical a vector containing logical values
integer a vector containing integer values
double  a vector containing real values
complex a vector containing complex values
character a vector containing character values
... the special variable length argument ***
any a special type that matches all types ***
expression an expression object
list a list
externalptr an external pointer object
weakref a weak reference object
raw a vector containing bytes
they made my hair go all cute and curly! Not at all like the language "we know and love
so well" [sorry, I grew up on Asterix the Gaul].

further to this:

> e3 <- quote(plot(x = age, y = weight))
     > e3$x
     age
     > e3$y

does not look like any type of xTalk I know:
in fact it looks a lot like the type of computer language
I have spent my level best avoiding.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson
     weight

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006