RevMedia for CBT/eLearning

Bob Earp rjearp at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 26 21:01:23 EDT 2006

The solution is not as easy as one would think !!

An awful lot has been written about sound pedagogical design (for adults at least), and the jury is still out as to a single solution.  Suffice to say training programs tend to get written to suit audiences, cultures and subject matter, and to do that requires an authoring environment with significant flexibility if a team of authors are expected to deliver quality content to a variety of clients.

Here's the conundrum.......

If you have a tool such as Rev and a content developer capable of quality scripting such as Dan Shafer (sorry Chip, he insisted I give him a plug !!) , then all is well.  But RARELY do you find an affordable quality content developer (one that understands and is skilled at adult instructional design) that can script.

As such, one must provide an authoring environment that supplements scripting skills as for sure you can't supplement quality instructional design skills despite what some marketeers will say !!    (e.g. "our tool will produce a training program in three clicks...")

Our experience is that most of the solution revolves around the ability to break the learning down into tiny chunks (less than what a card contains) and be able to freely navigate forward, backwards, and jump without the need to script and all with logical transitions (both learning and visual).  The other part of the solution is to make what little scripting the content developer does, as structured as possible without them even knowing it.  This is so that a team can develop a project with common standards and we can maintain it in the long term.

We've done all of this (and much more) in other languages (the last being ToolBook) and will do it in Rev just as soon as we can find a benefactor ;-)

best, Bob...

PS, I look forward to chatting with anybody of similar interest at RevConWest where I'll bring the old development shell we have.