Converting a RunRev App to a Web-Based App?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 26 19:45:42 EDT 2006

David Burgun wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2006, at 19:16, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> WebMerge is a handy way to quickly publish static web pages (I
>> recently sold a 10-pack to the US Library of Congress), but a true
>> web application will likely need a live database connection for
>> writes, and that's beyond the scope of what WebMerge handles.
>
> Actually maybe not. The database is only updated once in a while and
> the end-user doesn't write to the database at all. This is a kind of
> front-end to the main system. Once the user had selected the images
> they want, a list of the product codes and quantity is generated and
> in the Web-Based app would then processed by the main system.
>
> I'm not sure in WebMerge would be appropriate or not?
>
> What do you think?

It's hard to determine from that description, but if you need static web
pages generated then WebMerge may be a useful way to go.

If it is, you'll find updating those pages a snap:  You can save
WebMerge settings files with an Auto-Run option, so just double-clicking
the file launches WebMerge, it generates the pages, uploads them, and
quits.  If you need to edit the file again later you can always open
from within the program.

Since just about any database language offers options for launching
files, you can integrate WebMerge into other workflows with this simple
feature.

The demo is free, and has all features enabled with no time limit.  The
only limitation is that without a reg code it'll process only 20
records.  I've learned from Scott Raney that this type of
feature-limited demo is more effective for encouraging adoption of
complex products (extra bonus points that it's more convenient for the
customer too, and carries zero overhead for me).

The demo is at:
<http://www.fourthworld.com/products/webmerge/download.html>

A review at IT Enquirer compares WebMerge with a competing product:
<http://www.it-enquirer.com/main/ite/more/webmerge_or_mergemill/>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation