Converting a RunRev App to a Web-Based App?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Apr 26 15:43:03 EDT 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 11:42 AM, David Burgun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> AFAIK, they wouldn't mind if the user had to download an
> application from their web-site before they could access the
> database, in fact I think they would rather that then just using a
> browser. The database has to be held on the server though and it
> has to be accessed via the web. I don't know if this makes it
> easier or not?

If you just want to run the database off a publicly available server
using a read-only username/password then you could do that and the
program should work as is.  You just have to change the connection
settings.

Of course, this puts a username and password for your db out in the
open and that someone could get that info and run queries against
your database without you in the middle to cleanse the query for bad
data.  This might not be a concern with what you are doing  though
depending on your target audience.  I usually set up a web service
using PHP as the middle layer.  The PHP code on the server accepts
requests, generates the SQL and returns data to the Rev app.  This
could be as simple as tab/return delimited text or XML.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems - www.bluemangolearning.com
trevor at bluemangolearning.com