Converting a RunRev App to a Web-Based App?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Apr 26 14:31:12 EDT 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 9:09 AM, David Burgun wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> It's using mySQL right now, but I could use any SQL based database.
>
> I'm not sure of the server configuration. The app allows you to
> select an image of a certain size or sizes and then it looks it
> shows other images from the database with a "compatible" size. For
> example:
>
> The user selects ImageA, this image is available in (say) 3 sizes
> 512, 1024 and 2048. It will then search the database and find
> images that have the same sizes. It's a little more complex then
> that, but thats really the core of it.
>
> This works just fine "in house", but now they want to make it
> available over the web so anyone can go to the page and do the same
> thing. There is no authentication in terms of getting a User ID or
> Password.

At first I was thinking that you just wanted to connect your Rev app
to the internet but it appears you want to convert this to a web
browser GUI.

I haven't done any Rev CGI apps but I'm guessing that the only thing
you can keep from your original project would be the data layer (SQL
calls).   I would think that everything else (GUI, connecting data to
GUI) has to be redone to output HTML.  How long this will take really
depends on the size of the app and what languages you know and have
available on your web server.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems - www.bluemangolearning.com