Converting a RunRev App to a Web-Based App?

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 26 14:23:41 EDT 2006

On 26 Apr 2006, at 19:16, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Mark Wieder wrote:
>> Wednesday, April 26, 2006, 7:50:54 AM, you wrote:
>>> I've just had an enquiry about an application I developed in
>>> RunRev a
>>> while back. It's basically a small database that contains small
>>> images, a 2D size and a product code. They would like to convert
>>> this
>>> to a web based application. How easy/difficult would it be to
>>> convert
>>> the existing app to run as a web-based app?
>> Would something like this do the trick?
>> http://www.fourthworld.com/products/webmerge/index.html
>
> I appreciate the plug, Mark, but in this case I'm not sure it's a
> good fit.
>
> WebMerge is a handy way to quickly publish static web pages (I
> recently sold a 10-pack to the US Library of Congress), but a true
> web application will likely need a live database connection for
> writes, and that's beyond the scope of what WebMerge handles.

Actually maybe not. The database is only updated once in a while and
the end-user doesn't write to the database at all. This is a kind of
front-end to the main system. Once the user had selected the images
they want, a list of the product codes and quantity is generated and
in the Web-Based app would then processed by the main system.

I'm not sure in WebMerge would be appropriate or not?

What do you think?

All the Best
Dave