Turn Off Double-Entry?

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 26 11:18:20 EDT 2006

On 26 Apr 2006, at 15:59, Jerry Daniels wrote:

> If I read this thread correctly, it isn't that the Rev IDE is
> untrustworthy, but rather that the second typing of an enter key
> closes the Rev script editor.

Yes, bad UI design. It's not just that though, there are loads of
problems in the IDE, especially with the Script Editor.

> If basic development environments didn't have third party tools,
> they wouldn't last long. Third party products exist to enrich a
> platform, not because the underlying "standard" product is
> untrustworthy or un-useable. It's a matter of providing more
> choices, extending functionality and creating diversity--the
> hallmarks of evolution (or in Richard's case "Devolution").

CodeWarrior didn't have any 3rd party tools that I ever used or
*needed* to use and CodeWarrior lasted a fairly long time! In general
I have nothing against 3rd party tools, but the "basic" package
should be able to handle basic things without falling over or causing
scripts to be corrupted or lost.

There are a number of development environments I have used over the
years that didn't have 3rd party tools and they lasted a long time or
are still going.

> We have Constellation (www.daniels-mara.com/products/
> constellation.htm) users who have never used the Revolution script
> editor--newbies to Revolution, if you will. The same can be said of
> the Metacard IDE and Devolution (Richard Gaskin's IDE). There are
> also people who are using Scott Rossi's excellent tools
> (www.tactilemedia.com) and have never used the "stock" object
> alignnment and colorizing.

Sure, but you shouldn't be *forced* to use them because the basic
package is not all it should be. Also, when a newbie buys RunRev and
starts to use it, depending on their past experience, they have a big
task to get their head around, a programming language, an IDE and the
whole MC concept. They really don't want to take on any more at that
time.

> Jerry
>
> Buy Constellation from Runtime Revolution!
> http://revstudio.runrev.com/section/revselect/constellation/

I (and many others) already bought RunRev! Why should we have to buy
something else just to work around problems in the RunRev IDE?

All the Best
Dave