Mysterious missing messages

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Apr 25 12:37:01 EDT 2006

(Note: I actually solved this before I sent it, but thought it might
interest some of you.)

###################
Has anyone ever seen this?
(Tried on Rev 2.6.1, 2.7.x on Mac OSX; Rev 2.7 on Win XP)

I have a stack in which I am accessing a mysql database and
displaying lots of unicode text. I noticed that my openCard and
closeCard handlers on one of the cards weren't being executed on
moving between cards. I did some investigating using the message
watcher and noticed the following:

- When I first open the stack I get the expected sequence of card and
stack messages:
	preOpenBackground
	preOpenCard
	openStack
	openBackground
	openCard

-When I go to the next card, either via a button handler or a View
menu shortcut, I get:
	closeCard
	preOpenBackground
  That's all.

 From this point on I get no open or close (including preOpen/Close)
messages sent to cards or backgrounds.

Then I tried creating a new card with nothing on it except go next
and go prev buttons, and set that card to be card 1.

- Again when I first opened the stack I got the normal sequence of
open/close messages.

- When I go from the blank card to any other card OR from any other
card back to the blank card I get the expected:
	closeCard
	preOpenCard
	openCard

- However, when I go from any of the other cards to any card except
the blank one I see:
	closeCard
	preOpenBackground

############
OKAY, while I was composing this email I noticed that one of the
cards contained a rogue group, one I don't remember creating and
which had the same name of an image object on the card. The group had
no objects in it. Once I deleted this group the open and close
messages began working again. I decided to send this along anyway for
you all to tuck into the back of your brains as something to check if
your open and close messages ever stop working.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University