Front Row/Remote

Chris Carroll-Davis chris at carroll-davis.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 10:13:48 EDT 2006

Hello all -

Anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to intercept input
from the Apple remote control?

I have to say I am mightily unimpressed with Front Row.  After you
get past the initial wow factor of the whizz-bang carousel effect,
the rest of the interface (i think) is very limited.  E.g. to select
shared music is a couple of presses down, even though that is all I
*ever* want to do (I have no music stored locally on the MiniMac).
Then when I do get to choose a track, I am stuck with the track name/
artist in enormous white lettering. Yuk.

Front Row might be fine to cover general use for most users, but I
(having access to Rev's abilities) could do much better for my own
*personal* set up.  E.g. I could (and have) use Rev to do custom
still/video slideshow or make internet radio interface - but I wish I
could hijack the remote control!!!

I have tried switching on the message watcher and pressing buttons on
the remote in the hope that it might trigger something (e.g.
rawkeydown) but nada.

Any ideas?

Chris