databases [was: Re: Ruby Active Record]

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Thu Apr 20 22:02:20 EDT 2006

> > Id pass the buck to whomever writes the checks ;-)
>
> In that case, you'd be misunderstanding the situation.
> Scenario: you write a spiffy app that goes out to hundreds of
> non-profit clients, and you charge them a nominal fee for it
> and for support. If it relies on MySQL for a backend server,
> are you responsible for getting a commercial license or are
> the clients who run and maintain it? And given that the
> clients are non-profits who may be entitled to a free
> commercial license, would it not be counterintuitive for the
> developer to pay for a commercial license rather than telling
> the clients to get their own?

IANAL (I am not a lawyer warning) - its been a few weeks (I wrote something
about their licensing in my blog a few weeks ago) but I suspect that unless
you are really giving it away for free, its on you, because you are
collecting a nominal fee for it and for support. I don't think it matters
how much that wee fee is.

Don't take my word on it though. I wouldn't ship anything like that without
having an informed opinion. mySQL AB used to be pretty rabid about
enforcement.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software, Inc

Joining Worlds of Information

Deploy True Client-Server Database Solutions
Royalty Free with Valentina Developer Network
http://www.paradigmasoft.com