databases [was: Re: Ruby Active Record]

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 20 16:17:14 EDT 2006

Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
> IF you use e.g. free mySQL (which is not free btw!) then make YOUR software
> free also. May be this will be a fair step?

If my understanding of their dual-license scheme is correct, it's more
than fair, it's actually required:

<http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/>

The usage terms are admittedly still somewhat vague to me, but in my
limited understanding it follows the trend of other dual-use licensing
to ask for in-kind usage:  usage in free things is free, usage in
non-free things is non-free.

So while the single-user SQLite is public domain (on which altSQLite is
based), MySQL has a dual license which needs to be read carefully to
make sure a project is compliant with its terms.

I have some libraries I'll probably release under a dual license, but
I'll try to make the license terms clearer than MySQL's. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal