Thanks altPlugins

Preston Shea darkshadow1 at metrocast.net
Wed Apr 19 14:36:21 EDT 2006

I took your advice and downloaded the free altPlugins & altArchive. Works like a charm and is way better for my purposes that my now dysfunctional "Save As..."  Thanks so much for this terrific piece of software.

I also use the tm| family of plugins (align, gradient, color) which have a different although equally slick look and feel. They also improve my daily work with Rev. and I recommend them highly as well as the alt family.

Both these plugins seem of a different sort than the Photoshop plugins I have used. Where the typical plugin seems to add a specialized function or effect that is really helpful for a small subset of users, the RR plugins I've adopted take basic functionality to a whole new level of smoothness and sophistication. It seems as if Revolution 6.0 will have everything working the way these "plugins" do.

I mention this because I read with alternating bemusement and consternation the episodic flame wars about RR ltd. and this list. It seems to me that Revolution is a generation ahead (or possibly behind?) they mainstream software market aimed at the average user. Perhaps this is what Windows would be like if the courts had broken up the Microsoft monopoly instead of threatening a future slap on the wrist. Instead of a corporate monolith we have a fractious consortium of prickly, independent geniuses who get along because they have to but are lone eagles, not drones.

The disjunction between current business models and the human reality behind the Revolution community could be worse; it could also be a lot better. What a product Revolution would be if all the talent devoted to it were in harmony instead of the occasional circular firing squad!