[OT] Cringely on BootCamp's future

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed Apr 19 13:40:55 EDT 2006

Chipp Walters / Richard Gaskin wrote:

 >> Spoke too quick. Turns out the Mac Mini I was referring to was not a
 >> Core Duo but Core Solo. Bummer. So, now a 1.66Ghz, 1GB memory, 100Gb
 >> hard drive MacMini costs $959 (without tax). Add a OEM version of WinXP
 >> Home and you're up over $1000. I can get way much more down at the
 >> CompUSA for way less.

Or blow off both OS vendors and cut the price in half by getting just
about any Linux pre-installed system.

 >> Bummer, for a second I thought Apple had a product
 >> reasonably priced.

On what planet?

They didn't get the highest margins in the industry with the most highly
compensated CEO by looking out for the customers' bottom line.  ;)

And the price of the Mac Mini in a 3rd world country like Brazil is
almost exactly three times what it is in the United States! In other
words, it is only for a tiny affluent (or should that be effluent)
elite. Unfortunately, within such business logics, the customers' bottom
line is the very last thing to be considered.

Now do you understand why the drive towards (reliable programming in)
Linux (especially in Brazil) is so imperative? We just want to live on
the same planet, that's all!

Regarding the file/picture chooser widgets I recently produced, I even
considered buying a Mac Mini so that I could help demonstrate the "cross
platform" capacity of Rev by producing a Mac version, besides offering
something useful to the Mac users themselves. Needless to say, that
dream quickly evaporated, like many others.

Bob Warren