Ruby Active Record

Russ McBride RussMcB at tsw.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 19 02:21:34 EDT 2006

Has anyone out there made Ruby calls from Transcript?

I like Ruby's Active Record for handling database interactions and
I'm thinking about just using it across all my applications to
mediate access to my databases for some internal app's (I'll be using
either FrontBase, MySQL, or PostgreSQL).  It would be nice to have a
mediating layer like Apple's old Enterprise Objects Framework or
Ruby's Active Record.  The downside with using Ruby is that I've got
to do a lot of Transcript<--->Ruby bridging both ways which may be a
headache and/or slow.  I know it will also require the additional
step of installing Ruby and Active Record on any machine that needs
to run my apps but I'm not too worried about that.

Anyone have any feedback on blending Ruby into runrev?

Cheers,
russ

P.S.  Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention that FrontBase wrote a
plug-in for runrev compatibility.  Found it accidentally on their
download page:  http://www.frontbase.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/FrontBase