setting a fileType on Win with setRegistry

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Apr 17 22:18:36 EDT 2006

On 4/17/06 6:08 PM, "Terry Judd" <tsj at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> On a related note. Is there any way to get rid of the list  of
> 'recommended' programs that appears in the 'open with' menu when you
> right-click a file. I inadvertently added a couple of programs to this
> list for my application when I was trying to get all of this working
> and can't seem to shake them off, even when I delete the registry
> entry.

Those "open with" items are listed in a different registry key:

  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
  Explorer\FileExts\.ext\OpenWithList

Substitute your extension for ".ext" in the path above. For example, under
".mc" I have the following string values:

  a    REG_SZ    MetaCard.exe
  b    REG_SZ    Revolution.exe
  c    REG_SZ    iexplore.exe
  d    REG_SZ    StackRunner.exe

Why do I have "iexplore.exe"? Probably because I'd clicked on a "raw" link
in IE and it make the "open with" association automatically. So to remove
it, I just highlight "iexplore.exe" and delete it with the deletekey,
leaving me with:

  a    REG_SZ    MetaCard.exe
  b    REG_SZ    Revolution.exe
  d    REG_SZ    StackRunner.exe

Now I don't know if there's a problem with the names being out of sequence
(there's no "c" now), so I usually go in and rename the ones following the
one I deleted so it stays in sequence.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software