Installerless installation on OSX?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Apr 13 17:56:55 EDT 2006

Thanks to all who replied to my query, and for the introductions to
FileStorm and InstallGadget.

Anyway the discussion has given me considerable food for thought, and
I'll discuss the issues with my publisher, particularly in the light
of any plans they have to distribute via the Internet (right now they
send out CDs).

Graham

(BTW, the point made by Dan Shafer about dmgs confusing people is
borne out by an article I found on developer.apple.com, which says in
part, under the heading "Caveats for Internet-Enabled Disk Images ":
> Some users may be confused when they double-click a disk image file
> and it then “goes away” (to the Trash).
> A user who finds and retrieves the image file from the Trash may
> again be confused that double-clicking it a second time doesn’t
> produce the same behavior.
> Some users may not be experienced with the use of disk images,
> whether these images are internet enabled or otherwise.
>
> If you are concerned about any of these issues, you can provide
> instruction at your download site or through a Read Me file or
> other mechanism. You can tailor the information you provide to the
> sophistication of your target audience.

Or (one might think) you could follow Dan and not use dmg at all.