Installerless installation on OSX?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Apr 13 11:40:11 EDT 2006

Graham,

Many big-name companies distribute there Mac OS X apps this way--
MicrosoftOffice, BBEdit, and Firefox all are simple .dmg files that
you mount, then drag the app to wherever you want. Unless you need to
do some behind the scenes fiddling with System-level entrails, it
seems to me the easiest and most straighforward approach. If the end
user wants the app available to all users, they put it into the
Applications folder, provided of course that they have admin rights.
If the end user doesn't want to give global access or has no admin
rights, they could just copy it to their own ~/Applications folder in
their user home.

Devin