hierarchical lists with collapsing arrows

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhost.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 02:20:32 EDT 2006

Xeubie Tsu wrote:
> Well, I would still like it to act as a list - i.e., I want to be able
> to highlight items in blue. It's just that I don't want the arrow to
> collapse unless I click the arrow.
>
> I'll try that workaround...not to familiar with "the clickChar," but
> I'll look it up. Thanks.
>
> Oakes
>

>> From: Brian Yennie <briany at qldlearning.com>
>> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>> Subject: Re: hierarchical lists with collapsing arrows
>> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:05:51 -0700
>>
>> Xeubie,
>>
>> What happens when you turn off the "list behavior" of that field?
>> It looks like this only happens with list behavior turned on - dunno
>> if anyone else has deeper insights!
>>
>> One workaround would be to use "the clickChar" to determine what exact
>> character they actually clicked on - and make sure it was the arrow.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> - Brian
>>
>>> I forgot to mention, here's the code in my list field:
>>>
>>> on linkClicked
>>>  if the angle of image arrow.gif = 0 then
>>>    set the angle of image arrow.gif to -90
>>>  else
>>>    set the angle of image arrow.gif to 0
>>>  end if
>>> end linkClicked
>>>
>>> Like I said, it treats the whole list item as a link, so the arrow
>>> changes direction even if I click on the text next to the arrow. For
>>> an idea of what it looks like, I took a snapshot and attached it to
>>> this message.

What I do is perhaps not exactly simple, but I set a tab stop so that
all the disclosure graphics are effectively in a table column of their
own. Each line has a leading character (with or without an imagesource)
followed by a tab. Then when a line is clicked, I check the horizontal
mouse co-ordinate (minus the left co-ordinate of the field) to see if it
is within the first column as defined by the tabstops property, and if
so I treat it as a potential expand/collapse event.

I like this because it allows for some latitude in click accuracy, and
lets me do entirely different things when the remainder of the line is
clicked or double-clicked.

Martin Baxter