Runtime Revolution Ships Revolution Media

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 12 10:26:47 EDT 2006

Jim Carwardine wrote:
> Branding is not an issue for the language of Rev because almost all of the
> users are on this list - change the name and several people have to do a
> search/replace for the name on a few documents.

With some name changes that might be the case, but the unique challenge
with using one word to mean to different things is that each context
needs to be examined for clarity, and in some cases you'd need to use
somewhat clumsy constructs like "Revolution (the language)" or
"Revolution (the IDE)".

> Developers starting to use Rev are doing so because somebody on
> this list told them about it.

What Chipp wrote yesterday pretty much applies to nearly every post I've
read on this list:  the motivation is a deep passion for the product and
a desire to see the company be more successful.

Those here with a stake in RunRev's success have been effectively an
army of sales people who faithfully go out into the trenches day after
day, year after year, and the only compensation asked for is a good
value on each upgrade they pay for.  And they're willing to keep paying
the bills with upgrade after upgrade year after year as long as the
value remains unquestionable.

How many sales people are willing to pay for the privilege of selling?

Imagine where RunRev would be without this core constituency.

> This needs to settle down.  Markets hate unpredictable change.
> Inconsistency is the true evil.  ...  Rev needs to settle on their value
> proposition and then ruthlessly protect it -

Projecting stability and confidence -- now THAT's branding.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal