Multicard Stack, Standalone Speed, and screenNoPixmaps property

Levi Kendall ljk144 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 15:30:38 EDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

> 7 seconds is a pretty long time just to access a card.  Are you using any
> transitions (visual effects) by chance?  What is present on the secondary
> cards -- it sounds like maybe some large images.  Is this the case?  Also,
> what about initialization scripts: do you have any going on in any of your
> secondary cards?
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi

The cards are 800x600, with a full size backdrop image and a few other
images on top of that for the GUI (perhaps as many as 15 in some cases).
This could also include text field(s) for certain cards.  There is
initialization scripts for when the card opens, but from my first message
it's clearly not the cause of the performance hit.  With screenNoPixmaps set
to "true" (disable buffering) the delay is completely trivialized and not
even worth timing.  This is with all the initialization scripts still
running of course.  This leads me to believe the graphic buffer creation is
causing the slowdown.  On the second visit to any other card in the stack is
nearly instant, including a different card than the first "category" that
was opened.