bugs

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Apr 10 14:42:35 EDT 2006

On 10 Apr 2006, at 17:54, Robert Sneidar wrote:

> It is theoretically possible to write bug free code, but the
> chances of doing it decrease exponentially with complexity. (For
> anything like software someone would actually want to use, the
> chances are about the same as the coin dropping to the ground and
> staying on it's side.)

That's just not true! Bugs do not necessarily increase as complexity
increases it all a matter of coding correctly. It's true you cannot
apply the same rules you use to develop complex software as you do to
write trivial software, but if you stick to sound software
engineering principals, then complex software is actually more stable.

Point in case, look at games like WarCraft I and II, StarCraft,
Diablo II, SimCity, etc. etc. etc. these are increibly complex
systems and they have very few bugs. Reason? Most of these games work
on devices like the PlayStation and rely on the CD being correct,
there's no downloading a bug-fix release in this case.

Another point in case, are mainframe OSes (like IBM/390), also as I
have mentioned before check out SNOBOL4 and SPITBOL.

All the Best
Dave

.