bugs

Robert Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Apr 10 12:54:07 EDT 2006

It seems to me you guys are playing shell games with words. It's all
a matter of semantics. "Bug" to one of you is not the same meaning as
"bug" to another. So let me define "bug" for both of you. A bug is
code that does not function the way the author of the code intended.
If the author intended to fry your toaster when you clicked the "OK"
button, and your toaster did in fact fry, it's NOT A BUG! If he did
not intend it, it is. All talk of usability and expectations for end
users is frivolous.

It is theoretically possible to write bug free code, but the chances
of doing it decrease exponentially with complexity. (For anything
like software someone would actually want to use, the chances are
about the same as the coin dropping to the ground and staying on it's
side.)

My experience is that if I try to be very very careful as I am
writing the code not to make syntax errors, I don't get much coding
done. My focus has to be mainly on concept. So what is the point to
saying that I can write bug free code in theory? In practice I have
proven that I cannot. And how would I ever be sure? Unless someone
does the unexpected thing that triggers the bug, no one would ever
know, including me. If a bug is never triggered, is it still a bug?
If a tree falls in the woods... but I digress.

Such talk is silly. We live in an imperfect world with imperfect
people. We produce imperfect things. We try to fix them when we find
them. The only perfect man who ever showed up, we crucified. But not
to worry, He's alright now. :-)

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management