Recent posts

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Sun Apr 9 20:15:03 EDT 2006

Hi from Paris,

I just spent 3 days in Montelimar in a recording studio, and came back
to Paris (without any nougat !) to find 3 days worth of posts.

It took me 3 hours to plough through the posts to make sure I didn't
miss
anything important.

Mostly, they talked about haggis !    (HAGGIS ???????)

But there was one vital post I'm glad I didn't miss :

---------------------
Bob Warren wrote:

> ................................ In actual fact, I was hand-punching
> machine language
> bootstrap routines on Hollerith cards before these people were even
> born.

> Have you ever dropped a stack of a thousand or so punch cards!?  That
> was the last time I ever dropped a stack.  Took me weeks to put the
> stack back in order before I could run it through the reader.  :-(

-Garrett
-----------------------

For anybody out there still using punched cards ........ Draw a
diagonal line
across the top of your card deck with a biro, drop the deck on the
floor, and
then put the deck back into 100% sequence with NO hassle !  Did it
often !

Oh ! - and I still have a Hollerith Card punch - worth a fortune maybe
Ah ! - the good old days of 12-11-0-8-9 just to get such strange
characters
as left or right brackets ! We had such fun ....... (and so many read
checks !)

But Rev is more fun !

-Francis

"Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"