Please drop this thread

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Sun Apr 9 10:50:55 EDT 2006

Lynn,

> Hi kids,
> The argument has gone on too long.

Note that I don't know of any argument. I didn't read the list.
Simply because I am not interested in endlessly arguing with Richard
and I know too well how much Richard likes to lock himself in endless
arguments.

But I am interested in discussing what follows. More importantly I am
interested in seeing runrev reassure me with respect to what has
happened recently on the list.

The comments I made don't concern directly runrev products. They
concerned the excessive policing that some users allow themselves to
do on this list. They concerned the fact that this policing sometimes
went a bit too far, these users allowing them to do what shouldn't be
allowed on a well moderated list. They concerned the fact that
because of these ever present "misconception correction", endless end-
splitting too often replace what had was intended to be productive
result-minded discussions. They concerned the fact that my experience
has been that collaborative work has often importantly suffered from
this, and this has negatively impacted on the provision of better
resources to the community.

If this is  not something that should be discussed here, where should
it be discussed?

Is the reason it cannot be discussed on this list only the fact that
Richard choosed to make an argument of this. Is it that it is not
possible to discuss *ANYTHING* on this list without Richard taking
part in it and transform the discussion into an argument?

Only counting the users who made more than 3 posts to the list. 1 of
your user is responsible for 4.2% of the posts on the list. 2.9% of
your users (11) are responsible for about 33% of the traffic on the
list. 5.7% of users (22) are responsible for about 50% of the traffic
on the list. 16.4% (63) are responsible for 75% of the traffic. 34.8%
(134) are responsible for 90% of the posts. Is this a community list
or a list for Jim and his 21 *friends* (correction, 19, Xavier is not
a friend of Jim and others anymore, and Eric hasn't been seen on the
list for some time).

So Lynn, where can users like me who don't always agree with what
"key dignitaries" say and do go to discuss our ideas. Apparently, not
on this list. So where?

I react here on the "hi kids". I said things that were meant to be
important (at least for me). Apparently, I have worded them in a way
that got you write "hi kids" rather than act responsibly to protect
the users of this list from abusive comments.

Lynn, I  am very interested in hearing the suggestions you have to
make to find a solution to this conundrum. I am not interested in
continuing this thread (I didn't even read the replies), publicly or
privately. But I am not interested either in seeing multiplications
of inappropriate if not unfair user's treatment as I have seen
lately. The argument will stop provided that the problem that causes
these arguments will stop. I wrote an email to try to explain the
problem and get the cause of the arguments to stop. But the only form
of comment I have on these problems is "hi kids". So let's try
explain again the problem that is nagging the user I am.

I have no difficulty to understand how users who make criticisms can
create difficult to manage stress for persons who depend on runrev's
products for their commercial survival. It seems that we do have high
levels of stress and anxiety in the community.  But fear and anxiety
need to be handled in other ways than by fighting back.

But I was alarmed to see an answer to some post on the list where
some wrong doing of a user got denounced in an area *completely*
unrelated to the post or to runrev, was in my view, off limit of fair
treatment  of a fellow user.

Sure, this was not out of any intention of unfair treatment. This was
out of a reaction to criticisms. The thing, is that there will always
be criticisms. The more valid the criticism, the more stressful it is
for persons who would prefer not to see too many criticisms on this
list. Still, whatever the level of anxiety and fear we can come to
suffer, we should never allow ourselves to treat persons who trigger
this fear to be treated unfairly. Whatever the level, we should never
allow ourselves to believe that the wrong doing that others may have
done us authorize us to endorse a uniform of police officer and start
to make the law ourselves.  Yes, I know, there were nice smileys in
your post, you never tried to do treat anybody unfairly... I voiced
my concern because my understanding is that, independently of  your
intentions, your comment was off limit. And this has happened at
least 4 times with at least 4 different persons over the last 4
months and if this goes on, this could end up causing crises very
difficult to get out off.

Now, once we have acknowledge that criticisms will always be made,
what we have to think about is how can we handle these criticisms in
a way that *benefit* us rather than cause a spiraling increase of the
tension.

The runrev team gave us a very satisfactory answer... please make any
problem known to the support services, via bugzilla, via the easier
to use revzilla, via support at runrev.com if any of the former is too
complex to use. For having tried this way recently, I can tell that I
received back precise references to the bugzilla that had been
created, so I can keep track of the progress being made. This is no
less than what I can come to expect as customer. It would be even
better in a few weeks time to see the time we may have spent filling
bugs report rewarded with an even better product... only patience
would tell. This won't clearly happen overnight.

Now the question is what can we do on this mailing list to adopt an
attitude that doesn't contribute to increase the stress of both
unhappy users and the stress of users who strongly depend on runrev's
products for their commercial endeavour, while we wait for the next
version?

Putting a lid over a saucepan full of boiling water is clearly not
the solution. We have to do our best to reduce the ambient anxiety
rather than increase it.

It seems to me the response is simple. Avoid to have persons with
**completely opposite** concerns discuss these concerns on the list
in the hope to reach an agreement. It is naive to expect that you can
end up "agree" when what category A users expect is sometimes the
exact opposite of what category B users expect. There is no need to
"minimize" any criticism made on this list. Just assume that no user
write lightly a criticism against the product he would like to
thrive. This usually reflects a concern of him that needs to be
addressed. Telling him his concern is not valid is not an answer that
will appease him in any ways. By experience, a more efficient
approach is to try to understand where he comes from and what
"anxieties" his criticisms reveal and try to minimize these anxieties
rather than to dismiss the validity of his concerns.

Best is also to avoid to attack any person who makes criticisms
against runrev products... we will then avoid to give them reasons to
answer back and have discussions degenerate. Let's just invite any
person who signal a problem to fill a bugzilla, a revzilla, or
contact the support, **without** any patronizing or judgment being
made on their ability to establish what is a bug that is worth
reporting, what is or not a valid criticism against current runrev's
product, what is an adequate level of service and what is not,
*without* any judgement being made on them at all.

This way, less time has to be spent on this list discussing issues
that are out of our control. More time can be spent discussing issues
that are under our control, as a community of users, like the
creation of better tools and resources, user-contributed.

I am not interested in continuing this thread (I didn't even read the
replies), publicly or privately. What I am interested in is
discussing with persons who are, like me, interested in spending more
time on this list working as a community to work on the creation of
better tools and resources, openly available. Feel free to comment on
this: http://codes.widged.com/?q=node/658 (library of file processing
functions), or ask me to be made a moderator on the codes cms so to
be authorized to post your own code there.

And, yes, Richard, I am interested in the contribution you have to
bring there and I am interested in taking part in the ROSE project of
an open source editor in rev that you proposed (http://
groups.yahoo.com/group/revInterop/message/403) and help us formalize
ideas some of us have on component writing and components
interoperability in revolution? Mark Wieder's proposal for event's
handling -- http://codes.widged.com/?q=node/642 already got some
trackbacks "this is very good" ;-). Looks promising.

But the reason I gave some indicator of Richard's activity on this
list is that even if that's what I want to do. I cannot do it,
practically. I tried to make Richard aware that for this to happen,
we need to start to spend more time taking actions... less correction
one another's "misconceptions". The reason I reacted was not to be
nasty on Richard. The reason I reacted is because my understanding is
that collaborative work in this community tend to be compromised by
the habit some "key dignitaries" on this list have to comment and
often *correct* any "misconception" expressed against runrev (or the
personal religion of some persons on the list). This kind of
"misconception correction" that we see too often on this list is
causing crises that have a negative impact for *everybody* involved.

I would greatly prefer if the following code of conduct was adopted
on this list:
Let's direct criticisms of runrev's products where they can be used
productively: runrev support. Let's use more of our time to develop
better resources within the community.

Everybody, Richard included would benefit of this.  So, why is it
that inviting "key dignitaries" to more tightly follow that code of
conduct falls in the category of childish arguments?

Marielle

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk,