bugs

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Sun Apr 9 05:04:40 EDT 2006

On 09/04/2006, at 17:44, Geoff Canyon wrote:
> I think you and I are agreed: the software itself is bug free.
> There seems to be debate over whether a bug in the code's context
> -- requirements, the engine, the OS, etc. -- qualifies as a bug in
> the software. I think it doesn't, but I can understand the point of
> people who think that's a useless distinction. In fact I'm likely
> to agree, but I still maintain that the code itself is bug free ;-)
>
> It's funny that this all started as a joke, but I'm actually
> experiencing this as we speak: the windowshade control I released.
> I think the code is clean, but some people are having troubles with
> it. I can't replicate their errors, and there are others using it
> without troubles as well. Is there a context issue? Am I wrong that
> the code is clean? I'm stuck trying to figure that out. <sigh>

As for my posts referring to your code, Geoff, I hoped I had made it
sufficiently clear already that I was using it as a jumping off point
to elaborate on the issues of what is a bug and differences in user
experiences, and nothing at all to do with your code which I
understood and accepted in the context in which you presented it.

cheers
David

> As far as my programming prowess is concerned, I hope it takes more
> than one line of code to judge that!

You are too modest <g>
LOL