bugs

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Sun Apr 9 03:44:31 EDT 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 7:33 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> I don't think anyone is attacking your programming prowess here.
> It's just that by providing a one line script and calling it a
> 'program' you invite questions.

Am I coming off as defensive? It's not my intent. Based on your post:

On Apr 8, 2006, at 7:33 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:
> Personally, I think your one line script looks bug free to me! I
> imagine after I run the finished program (how much you gonna
> charge?), I might have more to say ;-)

I think you and I are agreed: the software itself is bug free. There
seems to be debate over whether a bug in the code's context --
requirements, the engine, the OS, etc. -- qualifies as a bug in the
software. I think it doesn't, but I can understand the point of
people who think that's a useless distinction. In fact I'm likely to
agree, but I still maintain that the code itself is bug free ;-)

It's funny that this all started as a joke, but I'm actually
experiencing this as we speak: the windowshade control I released. I
think the code is clean, but some people are having troubles with it.
I can't replicate their errors, and there are others using it without
troubles as well. Is there a context issue? Am I wrong that the code
is clean? I'm stuck trying to figure that out. <sigh>

As far as my programming prowess is concerned, I hope it takes more
than one line of code to judge that!

regards,

Geoff