Linux Engine Licensing - Please Read

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 8 16:53:55 EDT 2006

Lynn Fredricks wrote:

>  > A lot of us MC users did.  I had occasion to mention this
>> very specifically to Lynn recently, more than once.  Not sure
>> why he said he wasn't familiar with it; maybe he just suffers
>> from what Dan and I can call Rev List Subscriber Memory Disorder. ;)
>
> The substance of our discussion had to do with what's coming, not the
> location of a document.

My end of the conversation dealt with that's already here:  Andre and
others have server frameworks that run on a license that's free.  I
mentioned repeatedly to you that the license for faceless use had
historically always been free, for more than a decade before RunRev
acquired the engine.

At that time you didn't ask me for the location of that document, and
didn't even cast any doubts about how I described that license, as you
did here yesterday.  But if you need it now at least you have it.

My only question for you was whether RunRev would continue this
tradition. I feel it would be as good an idea today as it was when Dr.
Raney first came up with it as a way of introducing the language in an
interesting space that doesn't impair sales of the GUI product.

I still don't have the answer to that question; it's not addressed in
the v2.7 license, so for the moment anyone wishing to evangelize
Transcript use for servers has to recommend the older engine.

>> Most of the engine changes since the older version at
>> <ftp.metacard.com> have been for native appearances and other
>> goodies that have no effect when running in faceless mode.
>> Also, MetaCard Corp. supported far more platforms than
>> RunRev, so if your server runs Solaris, BSD, or one of the
>> other flavors Rev is no longer compiled for you can still
>> enjoy Transcript on your server with the old tried-and-true engine.
>
> Not completely forgotten - they have a sub-forum:
> http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21

I don't understand:  I don't see a BSD or Solaris forum there, and I
couldn't find either build in the pub/engines/ folder at ftp.runrev.com.

I use a host that maintains a server farm preconfigured for using the
engine (TierraNet.com), but they use BSD so until I get a new build I
have to use the old one.

Fortunately the old engine handles the basics well for server use so
it's not that critical.

>> I've been using Transcript as my language-of-choice on my
>> servers since before RunRev Ltd. was born.  It's nice that
>> the world is finally changing so I no longer feel the need to
>> apologize for that choice (remember the '90s when people
>> wrote web apps in C? Ewwww).
>
> Now Rich, you arent the sort who gets enraged when he sees Grateful Dead
> stickers on SUVs, right?:-)

That one's lost on me.  Writing web apps in C is pretty craptastic given
  its productivity relative to higher-level languages; note that the
current buzz is about "Ruby on Rails", not "C on Rails". ;)

While many of my friends love the Dead I don't have any of their albums,
and none of their music was written in a strongly-typed compiled language.

I own an SUV but mostly for camping; I drive only about once a week or
less, and between the metro train and compact fluorescents and other
conservation actions I take my personal BTU consumption is far below
that of most sedan owners.  And neither SUVs nor sedans can be easily
configured for CGI use.

:\

--
  Richard Gaskin