bugs

Garrett Hylltun garrett at paraboliclogic.com
Sat Apr 8 16:23:55 EDT 2006

David Vaughan wrote:
>> So tell me what could go wrong? ;-)
>
> I realised while cooking the salmon this evening (crocodile being off
> the menu) that Geoff had inadvertently provided a wonderful case study
> on bugs. Any link to Geoff in the following is purely coincidental and
> nothing to do with him at all :-)
>
> Once upon a time, an aspiring programmer wrote:
>>> on mouseUp -- display the date
>>>   answer the date with "OK"
>>> end mouseUp
> and released it as shareware.

The thing is, that is not a bug.  The programmer did not make any error
in his code at all.  The code works as it was intended.

You could also claim that if a user in Japan downloaded the program and
could not read it because it was in English and not Japanese, that he
could say that the program has a bug.

Or a Linux user downloaded the Windows version, it would not run, so it
must be a bug.

Your scenario is lacking completely, and rather a petty attempt to push
your belief.

-Garrett