bugs

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Apr 8 13:47:24 EDT 2006

David-

Saturday, April 8, 2006, 4:26:49 AM, you wrote:

> In a way, yes, but on the other hand, I worked at one place that had
> around 5 imaging products and they all used a couple of common
> libraries. It made sense in this case for QA to track which versions
> of the libraries were used in the build of which products. Also since
> they were Shared Libraries (DLLs), they would switch out libraries
> and move back to older versions to track when a "bug" was introduced.
> They also had a Library test tool, which exercised the API.

Maybe they "exorcised" it... <g>

There's a fine line between unit testing and white-box testing. I
write api test harnesses from the QA end of things, but I expect that
by the time I get to run my test suite the api will already have
passed development's unit tests. There may be overlap, and probably
should be, but I see the two as functionally different. But less so
now that XP's test-before-code methodology has taken hold.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net