Revolution is very slow to refresh fields. How can I speed it up?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Apr 7 14:11:34 EDT 2006

Rob Cozens wrote:

> Geoff, et al:
>
>>  I generally check the ticks and update based on that:
>

> How do you know in advance the total ticks to complete the operation?
>
> Some of my progress bars reside on resizeable stacks, and are
> themselves resizeable.  I wanted an approach that recognized the same
> looping supports fewer updates when the bar is short than it does when
> it is longer.

You don't need to know how many ticks it takes. Changing the visible
appearance any faster than (roughly) every 5-10 ticks will add nothing
to the perceptible smoothness (*); changing it any more slowly will make
it less smooth. There are (or may be) cases where such decreased
smoothness would be acceptable, so the proposed method may not be
completely optimal in saving CPU - but in general doing a screen update
at that rate will be infrequent enough to make the CPU cost low.

(*) - if your customer base includes non-humans, you may need to
re-evaluate their ability to see rapidly changing visual input.